Wednesday, July 25, 2012

What I have been doing

Hello there

Well here it is Wednesday again and I haven't had any time to work on my tree skirt this week.  I am getting ready to go to the 67th Flaherty picnic (I haven't attended them all of course :) ). It is held on Long Island in New York.  This year I am particularly interested in seeing a cousin who has had a bad year.  Last year he gave me a big bag of his ties so I made him a quilt out of them.

I hope he likes it.  I had trouble selecting the sashing fabric and Greg, my husband, thought this fabric looked very much like a tie.  I wasn't sure at first but I think it works.

This is the same picnic where last year I made three quilts for my cousins who had sent me their mother's collection of handkerchiefs when she passed away.  I was thrilled to have them.  I made a blue, pink, and yellow quilt and the hankies were shaped like birds.  Here is a picture of the quilts with my cousins.  That is a picture of my aunt, their mother, in the center of the quilts.  I should say that the sashing on these quilts were real feedsacks.  I just love feedsacks and only use them for something special.  It took me years before I would let myself cut into a feedsack.


I have also be working on some gifts for my nephew's new baby who should be born any day now.  They specifically wanted bright colors for the baby no pastel.  I don't know if they are dog or cat people so I made this quilt with dogs on one side and cats on the other.  I haven't finished the binding yet but that will be purple.  Here is a picture of the quilt without the binding.


I have to admit I am not much of a photographer and the colors look a little washed out here.  Here is another picture below showing the dogs on one side and the cats on the other.  I also made the baby a cat and a dog blankie.  Can you tell they are little cats on the left side of the quilt?

Here is a picture of all that I made for the new baby.


I am not sure if I will have time to work on my tree skirt before next week so it might not be until the week after I will post anything about that.

Tomorrow is going to be really hot here again, we are getting a break in the weather today. 
I hope you are all doing well with whatever kind of weather you are having.

1 comment:

  1. OMG Maureen!! YOu've been WAYYYYY busy! Those baby blankets are adorable! I'm sure they loved them. You have one of the most generous hearts I know. I can see that your time off is being spent loving your family...which is awesome.

    ReplyDelete